Thursday, August 23, 2018

A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench

I heard an awesome testimony last night, of a man with a horrendous past including abuse, and at a very early age, loosing his mother to an overdose. He went on to tell of his own addictions, of hitting rock bottom in Jail and coming to the Lord. And even then he struggled and struggled, but finally walked in victory. And it was encouraging to me to see this example of victory, as this morning I am off back to minister in the prison, and I know from experience that even though the girls are hearing, many of them will find their way back again and again. Such is the nature and curse of addiction.

But then when I am tempted to get frustrated, the Lord reminds me how patient He has been with me; and how many times and in how many ways the rug had to be pulled out from under my feet before I came to Him in the first place, and then how many times I failed before my own salvation “stuck” and I too could walk in victory.

And this morning’s quote from Isaiah 42:3 speaks very much of His patience with us, and goes on in verse 4 to say that He will not be discouraged. The Scriptures also tell us that “He knows our frame, He knows we are but dust” (Psalm 103:14). So that He knows and understands that we are mere mortals. Nevertheless as we read, again in the context of this morning’s verse, He calls us in and to righteousness, and then in tenderness and mercy declares “I will hold your hand” (verse 6).

Father, I want to thank You again this morning for Your patience with me over the years. And when You call us to righteousness, it is not because You are some kind of killjoy, but rather that this is the way to peace and freedom. Thank You that You hold my hand and that You have promised never to leave me. As I testified myself last night, I would not have made it without You. But with You I have life and health and peace, and I praise and bless Your Holy Name again this morning in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment