Friday, August 24, 2018

Lord, help me to know how fleeting my time on earth is

In this extract from Psalm 39:4 (Passion translation) David had been wrestling with a number of different things. He has been deeply grieved by the wickedness that was going on around him (versus 1- 4), and he is bothered by the pointlessness and the futility of most of what we do. In particular in verse 6 he cries out “ We live our lives like those living in shadows. All our activities and energies are spent for things that pass away. We gather, we hoard, we cling to our things, only to leave them all behind for who knows who.” On top of this he is afraid of being overpowered by his own sin (verse 8). It never ceases to amaze me how well the Bible knows us!

Because he knows God, he is left with just one conclusion “My only hope is to hope in you alone” (verse 7),so he cries out to God. I love the way the passion translation puts it “Lord, listen to all my tender cries. Read my every tear, like liquid words that plead for your help. I feel all alone at times, like a stranger to you, passing through this life just like all those before me” (verse 12). Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt! And like David I have cried out to Him for help (verses 8,10,12).

I also like David, I have learned to counsel myself “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? ... Hope in God” (Psalm 42:11). And I go to the file where I have recorded many of the promises He has underlined for me “I will never leave you nor forsake you - come unto Me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest.” And if needs be, I work the conditions of my promises as in Philippians 4:4-7, repenting for where I have failed. And God is faithful, for He has promised “And the God of all grace …., after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast” (1 Peter 5:10). And He has, and He does!

Father, we sing the chorus “I never want to go back to my old life!” I do not! Thank You Lord for Your faithfulness, for Your mercy and for grace to help in time of need. Help me Lord to know how fleeting my time on earth is, to remember that You are in control, that I am not the keeper of the universe, You are! And I ask this in order that I may live one day at a time and for You and You alone in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment