Thursday, August 16, 2018

Searching for trash or treasure

New Testament prophecy, which is starting to coming back to the church, is described by Paul as “for strengthening, encouragement and comfort” (1 Corinthians 14:3 NIV). This is very different from Old Testament prophecy, which was largely given to correction and judgement. So, different covenant very different flavour of prophecy! And in the past prophecy in modern times, has been given a bad name because it was often used for condemnation and correction, not for building up.

So I was initially quite puzzled when, in an activation session at the recent prophetic conference in Bethel, Redding, I was getting “Mary, Mary, quite contrary ..” Synonyms for contrary include perverse, awkward, difficult, uncooperative, unhelpful, obstructive, and I was shaking my head asking how on earth that could strengthen, encourage or comfort. And I was glad I asked, for what I felt lead to say was that I felt that such negative words had been spoken over her, but that is not how heaven sees her. And so she was to understand that this is a lie, and I broke it off her. She told me later that “contrary” was one of the things she had been called at work.

So many of us have been wounded by what was spoken over us, scarred for life even, by hateful words. But Paul, in the same passage as above, tells us that we are to “eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy” (verse 1). So in essence we are to be eager to discover the treasure in each other, and to speak that out into their lives. Anybody can find the trash, but it is a real gift to be able to see past the trash to the treasure. And I am this morning remembering the tears of gratitude that followed a positive word to another lady at the conference.

Father, You have shown me the treasure in others often enough, that I am eager for You to increase this gift in me. And the truth is that the way You see us is always true and always positive. And we need to allow Your truth to trump the negative things spoken over us. Thank You Lord this morning, that You see Your reflection (Your image) in each and every one of us, so that what You see in us is always amazing. I am basking in Your love and approval this morning Lord. And I want to ask You to Increase this gift in each and every one of us Lord, for Your honour and glory and praise, and for the furtherance of the Kingdom in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment