Thursday, December 14, 2017

Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven

Feeling this morning, to start to study the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12), which among other things, I understand to be a study of the character of Jesus. This first beatitude is talking essentially about humility. Humility I think, is not well understood. Humility, while it certainly is not arrogance, is not timidity either.

In our culture, we are encouraged to sell ourselves, to present ourselves in the best possible light. So we tend to hide our faults, seeing openness and vulnerability as weakness. On the other hand false humility seems to be common among Christians. We received a complement, and respond “Oh, that wasn’t me it was Jesus!” I like Bill Johnson’s response to such statements “It wasn’t that good!”

To me, humility is having a realistic assessment of who we are, and whose we are. So I have learned, when given a complement, to say “Thank you.” In particular I do not want to deny the gifts and talents that He has given me. But I also need to acknowledge that I, like the rest of the world, am deeply flawed. Unless and until I am willing to acknowledge this, I will not be poor in spirit, and I will not likely do the work of repentance that is a necessary precondition of inheriting the kingdom.

Father, knowing that I am accepted in the beloved (Ephesians 1:6 NKJV), is helping me to have a realistic view of who I am in You. Thank You Lord, that I no longer need to put myself down, nor to boast of my accomplishments. Thank You Lord, that more and more I am seeing beauty in the character of Jesus, and seeing this, I want to be like Him. Thank you that You have promised to continue to work in me in this way. I pray these things in His holy and lovely and precious Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment