Sunday, December 24, 2017

Let us go and see this thing that the Lord has made known to us

The Lord had revealed himself to the shepherds in a spectacular way, and through the angel had told them about the birth of Jesus (Luke 2:10,11). Some of us might think it unfair of God to reveal Himself in spectacular ways to others, but not to us. But I believe, He either has, or will reveal Himself to each one of us in a way that we can hear and see and understand. But as here with the shepherds, each such revelation requires a response.

Before I had become too sophisticated for my own good, the Lord had spoken to me when I was 16. It was not an audible voice, but I knew it was Him, and He was essentially asking me why I was running away from him, which I was. And He told me that all He wanted me to do, was to love for Him. My response was “Well I don’t need you for that do I?”

So in fact, this was the essence of my call, to love others for Him. Now over half a century later, I am painfully aware of how inadequately I do this even with His help! But the point is, that after my negative response, it was 12 years later before I reconnected with Him. This time my response included the realization of how desperately I needed Him!

I believe that at some level, the Lord calls to us all at this Christmas season in and through the carols if nothing else. But I fear that like me for those twelve years, the longer we resist His call, the more faintly we hear Him! If this is you, I encourage you this morning to pray "God if you are really there, please show Yourself to me in Jesus Name."

Father, there are many out there whom I love, even in my inadequate way, who do not know You. Lord please open up their ears and their eyes and their hearts to You at this Christmas season, and help them to respond positively, and I will give You all the honour all the glory and all the praise in Jesus Name Amen >

No comments:

Post a Comment