Friday, December 15, 2017

Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted

I have mourned for the many losses in my life, and at times still do. These losses include losses through bereavement, losses through divorce, losses through separation from my children etc. etc. But importantly, through His patient wooing I have learned to get past the emptiness of false comforters, past the many ways we try to anaesthetize our pain, and into His comfort. He is the God of all (true and practical) comfort both in the here and now, and in the hereafter (2 Corinthians 1:3).

I have mourned for my sin, not only for the consequences of it in my own life and in the life of others, but also because I have come to realize how deeply that hurts my heavenly Father. The Scripture tells us “godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death” (2 Corinthians 7:10). Now having surrendered all I know to surrender, I can say with the hymn writer that I am “ransomed, healed, restored, forgiven.” And the fruit of this is not only comfort, but it is life and health and peace and hope and joy.

But the thing I am mourning most this morning, comes from the awareness of how much pain, sorrow, abuse and trauma there is in the world, and in particular in many of those whose lives touch mine. I am aware, that supremely this was the mourning of Jesus whilst he was here on earth. And with this awareness, I am seeking this morning, to tap into the strength, love and compassion of the one “who for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross despising the shame” (Hebrews 12:2).

Lord Jesus, I cannot do this without You, I am feeling very stretched this morning. But with You all things are possible, and I claim the principal/promise that when I am weak (which I am), then I become strong as I tap into Your grace, mercy, hope and forgiveness (2 Corinthians 12:9). Thank You Lord for Your presence and participation in my life. I bless You this morning, in your precious and holy Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment