Thursday, September 20, 2018

Encounters and manifestations (II) (Knowing and experiencing God)

Since manifestations are so controversial, a relevant question to ask is why (if they are genuine) would God manifest in such a way that offends so many, Christians included? Well, you could ask the very same question about why Jesus told the disciples “Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you can have no part in me” (John 6:53). While we understand the saying this side of the cross (my words are spirit and they are life verse 63), at the time they had no chance to understand what He meant. And they said “This is a hard saying, who can understand it” (verse 60), and “From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more”(verse 66). Note that it was disciples who walked no more.

I can’t believe that Jesus did not know that many would react the way they did, and that He knew in advance that what He said would be a stumbling block. Since Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever (Hebrews 13:8), I want to suggest that some of the things He does today (including manifestations), He does knowing full well that they will offend, and result in the offended not walking with Him any more. As I suggested last day, this is not to say that everything is of Him, we do still need to test all things (1 Thessalonians 5:21). But why would He manifest in such a way that would offend even those who could rightly be called disciples?

I mentioned yesterday that I was left asking myself if my initial response to the new wine had been me being overly cautious, or if it was pride, or fear, or the need to be in control. And it could be any of those things, but I also have to ask myself when in danger of being offended, if it is my religious spirit that is being offended. I have come to realize that there is something of the Pharisee in all of us, but perhaps I should speak only for myself! When the religious spirit is offended we likely do one of two things, we repent, or we turn away. However, as with the story of the rich young ruler (Mark 10:17-27) we are not told the final outcome, and like I did (see last day), we may need an encounter to change our minds!

Father, I do not want to turn away from anything that is of You. I also do not want to be naive! I find Peter’s response to Jesus question to the twelve (will you also go away - John 6:67) helpful. Reading between the lines, I understand Peter to be saying “We don’t have a clue what you are talking about Lord, but one thing we do know, and that is that when You speak, Your words somehow bring us life” (verse 68). And I am thinking this morning Lord that a big part of discerning, has to do with being Your sheep and knowing You voice (John 10:27). Help me in my hearing and following this morning Lord, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment