Sunday, September 23, 2018

My Sheep hear my voice (10) Rhema words (III) Illumination

When I said yesterday, that there are times when a promise from the Bible “speaks” to us, I could also have said that God is illumination the promise. But there’s a lot more that the Spirit illuminates for us, from the Word. In particular “Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Psalm 119:105). The illumination can (a) show us the path, (b) show us how we got off the path, (c) how to get back on the path, and (d) how to stay on the path (2 Timothy 3:16). I say “can,” because the illumination of the Scriptures (logos becoming rhama) is not automatic!

We are told “To he who has, more will be given, that he who has not will be taken away even that which he has” (Mark 4:25). Jesus had just said “If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear” (verse 23), and He tells us what He means in the next verse where He says that the measure of the illumination we are given depends on how we hear. We are told elsewhere, that having faith, hearing and obeying are, in God’s eyes, indistinguishable (Hebrews 3:15-18). To put it another way, it is his sheep, those who follow Him, who hear His voice.

This principle and promise of increasing insight and illumination is expanded on throughout the Scriptures. If we continue in His Word we will know the Truth and the Truth will set us free (John 8:31,32). When we delight in, and meditate on (memorize and chew upon) His Word, we will be like a tree planted by the water whose leaves are always green, and whatever we do will prosper (Psalm 1:2,3). No it is not automatic, we have a part to play, and the measure with which we participate, is the measure we receive.

Father, I have to confess this morning that there have been times when I found You Word, what shall I say, dry! I discovered at such times that I needed to change things round, to read a book on the different ways of doing devotionals, or just read other people’s devotionals. I might need to change the place and or time I do them etc. I also needed to pray and ask You for persistence and determination to push through the dry spell. Journaling has been a big part of the way I do things, in fact this journaling has morphed into my blogging what I hear from You. I want to thank You Lord that this has been a delight as I connect with You in this way morning by morning. Thank You too that You are using it in other people’s lives. I suspect however, that I am the one who is getting the most out of it! And I give You all the honour and glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment