Sunday, September 30, 2018

Our part in “Hearing” (II) Choosing to trust - if I ask for a fish

There were reasons (which I don’t need to go into) why I wanted to be “Grandpa” rather than Pop or Poppy. But there was initially a price to pay. Long after everyone else had it, I was left longing to be called by name. In a related story, there is nothing more heart melting for me, than for my five year old granddaughter to spontaneously say “I love you Grandpa!” The point I am making is that if, in our tender moments those of us who are not totally messed up long for communication and intimacy with our offspring, how much more must our heavenly Father long for the same with us!

I have learned so much about God in this way, from my children. What I am saying is that God is much more interested in loving intimate communication with us, than we could ever be. If we ever truly let the enormity of His love, demonstrated in the cross, sink in we would not doubt this. True we have to do it His way, or not at all. But as I blogged the other day, even when there is something that needs to be dealt with, conviction is not condemnation (c.f. John 8:1-11?). And He only puts His finger on things in our lives because they hinder our fellowship with our loving and holy God. And at such times, He is so wanting to restore fellowship.

We need to trust, that when we put Biblical safeguards in place (later), coming to Him humbly as little children, asking Him to “Speak Lord for your servant is listening” (1 Samuel 3:10), we can be sure He will answer. I mean “If a son asks from and father … for a fish, will he give him a snake?” And “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give …. to he who asks” (Luke 11:11-13). When we do it His way, we need to have more trust in our Heavenly Father’s ability to lift us up, rather than the Devil’s ability to deceive us!

Father, because in the here and now we have experienced so little of a love that is unconditional and quick to forgive and forget (Hebrews 8:12), we find it hard at times to trust You for this. Thank You that there is now no condemnation for those of us who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). Help us to truly believe that You are a rewarder of those who diligently seek You (Hebrews 11:6). And in particular, help us to trust that You wish to speak to us, and to speak words that strengthen, encourage and comfort us (c.f. 1 Corinthians 14:3) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment