Saturday, September 22, 2018

My Sheep hear my voice (9) Rhema words (II) Promises

The various twelve-step programs all talk about a higher power, a power greater than ourselves. And in talking to the boys in the prison and elsewhere, I often talk about the advantage of having Jesus Christ as our higher Power. I mention three things, the principles and promises of the Scripture (that’s two), and then thirdly His presence in our lives (later). The principles have more to do with the logos word than the rhema word. When we read that we reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7), we are being told that our choices have consequence. And we need to act accordingly. A lot of this is common sense, but one has to wonder how common is common sense, and most of us need to be reminded over and over! The promises are logos words until they become rhema words. This is when Holy Spirit draws our attention to them in the way that only He can do. Some describe this as the words somehow jumping out at us. To put it another way, the promises “speak” to us!

One of my rhema promises came in what Holy Spirit gave me as my life verses, that is verses that I somehow knew (rhema words) would be relevant for my entire life. I’m talking about Psalm 40:1-3 which comes for me in three parts. The first is my instructions to wait patiently for Him (verse 1), the second (verse 2, 3a) is my ongoing testimony to Him establishing me with my feet up on the rock, and a song of praise in my mouth (joy). The third part is the conclusion of the promise which is “that many will see and fear and put their trust Him” (verse 3b). It is my strong desire that I be used for the furtherance of His Kingdom. The fruit has been slow in coming, but I have the promise of one who cannot lie, and I keep on keeping on pressing into it and reminding Him of it.

As I was praying for a friend this morning, Holy Spirit gave me a couple of verse to encourage her. The are Psalm 126:5,6 “Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy. He who continually goes forth weeping, Bearing seed for sowing, Shall surely come again with rejoicing, Bringing his sheaves with him.” This is also one of many logos words that Holy Spirit turned into rhama words for me a long time ago. It is a promise I have hidden in my heart, and of which I remind Him from time to time. And it is my prayer, as I give such rhama words to others, that they become rhama words (speak personally) to them. By the way, more often than not when claiming my promises, I remind Him of the truth that He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all I ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).

Father, I want to thank You this morning for the promises that You reminded me of this morning. Over and over Lord I experience ministry as a two way thing. In particular the verses You gave me this morning for my friend are also so very, very relevant to my own life. Thank You Lord that You have established and are establishing my steps and putting a song or praise unto my God in my mouth. Thank You that as I continue to wait on You I am more and more confident that You will do what You say You will do in restoring families (Malachi 4:6) and relationships (Joel 2:25). Indeed I praise and bless and worship You this morning in the strong Name of Jesus Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment