Monday, September 24, 2018

My Sheep hear my voice (11) Rhema words (IV) Prophecy

In speaking about the prophetic, I am talking this morning about the prophetic in church. Speaking prophetically to our culture is a whole different discussion. But in the church, in the body of those who believe, Prophecy is one of the several things that are there for “the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ” (Ephesians 4:12). More specifically, speaking about prophecy, Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:3 tells us “everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort.” It should be noted, that while there is certainly a place for correction in the church, correction needs to be done gently, and in love in a more pastoral setting (i.e. Galatians 6:1).

Thus New Testament prophecy in the church is quite different from prophecy under the Law, which at least for Jeremiah, was “To root out and to pull down, To destroy and to throw down,” as well as “To build and to plant” (Jeremiah 1:10). So my understanding is that the use of prophecy to rebuke someone in the church is unbiblical. For me hearing God’s rhema (spoken) word though prophetic utterance, has been well “strengthening, encouraging and comforting!" There is one particular prophecy that was spoken over me (and recorded) in 2006, and it undoes me every time I listen to, or read, it.

I had been seeking to restore a significant relationship for over nine years at the time, and the ongoing rejection was threatening to sink me. The prophecy given by two complete strangers began by saying that the Lord had been speaking to him about my determination to go foreword and not give up, how I had kept my heart soft, and how you can get hurt again after, and hurt again after, and hurt again after (yes three times). It got my attention. Never again will I say that non-one understands me, for clearly God does! But the accuracy of this part of the prophetic word has helped me (and is helping me) to believe what was spoken later in the same prophecy. What I will mention here, is that part of what was also spoken was “There is an incredible teacher on you .. … a fathering teacher … a teacher out of the place I am a father… a loving teacher…” Others have told me they see this on me too, and this too has helped, and is helping me, to believe for the rest of that prophecy.

Father, I am so aware this morning that many in Your church have been hurt by wrong use, even abuse, of prophecy released perhaps in Old Testament mode (tearing down). Others are simply ignorant of this amazing gift (Ephesians 4:11) that You have given to the Church to build us up, to strengthen and encourage us. I cannot even begin to imagine where I would be at this time without all that I have received through the prophetic, and I pray this morning Lord that You will open up this wonderful gift to all parts of Your body. Here I am Lord use me. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment