Thursday, September 27, 2018

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings to search it out

When Jesus said that we could not be His disciple unless we hate mother and father and siblings (Luke 14:26), He did not intend for us to take this literally! It is hyperbole, a figure of speech that uses extreme exaggeration to make a point, for example “He is as old as the hills!” Jesus is wanting to teach us something about our relationship with Him, and in fact about relationships in general. I had to learn the hard way, that if a relationship is to work, then you cannot make up for what the other person is either not willing, or not able, to give.

I used to think that growing in intimacy was about constantly getting closer. I now think it is more like a dance where we come together, and then move back, and then come together again etc. When a relationship becomes difficult, the tendency is for one person to move back, needing space. If at this point the second person pursues them not recognizing the need for space, the first one is then likely to move back even further. And if the second person continues to pursue, they will likely chase the first person out the door! It is really hard not to do this at times, especially when you love that person passionately.

Now God loves you and me passionately, and the point I am making is that in order to have intimacy with Him, we need take part in the dance, by being responsive to Him. In fact we need to make Him our first priority! Well actually, life itself works better when do this. In particular, I will love my spouse and children more, if I put Him first loving Him with all my heart, mind, soul and strength! When we do this, what in effect happens is that He, who is the source of all love (1 John 4:8), flows through us loving them in a way that without Him we never could. Uppermost on my mind this morning, is the series of posts I have been blogging on hearing God’s voice. And what I want to say here is that if we really want to hear Him in a deeper and more consistent way, then we need to intentionally pursue it. Unlike with earthly relationships, we will never chase Him out the door!

Father the verse at the head of this post from Proverbs 25:2 came to me this morning, as I was thinking about how intimacy with You works. In particular the verse is telling me that You hide for us, not from us. It is like You are playing hide-go-seek with us, and when as little children do, we seek You with all of our heart, then we surly find You (Jeremiah 29:13). And when we do, we are both delighted. Thank You Lord for pursing me, thank You that You first loved us taking the initiative in sending Jesus to die in my place, so that I could find intimacy with a Holy and loving God. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment