Saturday, September 29, 2018

Our part in “Hearing” God’s voice (I)

There are many aids out there, to help us to hear the voice of God. I have found Mark Virkler’s material very helpful. It can be found in his writings, and on YouTube. Mark is interesting, because being primarily a left brain individual, hearing God’s voice did not come naturally to him. Well “seeing what only what the father does” (John 5:19), is more right brain than left brain. Mark was frustrated by being told “You know that, that you know, that you know,” when he asked how others how they knew it was God’s voice.

So Mark set out to discover how to do this, and if I remember correctly, he set aside a year to do it. His conclusion “Hearing God’s voice is as simple as quietening yourself down, setting your eyes on Jesus, tuning to spontaneous flow and writing it down.” In his teaching he also talks a lot about the necessary checks and balances. Mark bases the above four “keys” on the following extract from Habakkuk 2:1, 2. I will stand my watch … on the rampart (quiet myself down), watch to see (setting my eyes on Jesus), what He will say to me (tuning to spontaneous flow), Then the LORD …said “Write the vision.”

In my journey to becoming a Christian, I had a lot of what I now consider to be intellectual garbage. And the Lord gave me a lot of revelation, in order to sort it out. I should confess, that at first I thought it was my own brilliance! But I would come to realize that God was downloading the necessary knowledge, in order for me to have intellectual integrity as I came to Him. So when I did eventually get there, I was already hearing from Him. And all I really had to do then, was to learn to distinguish between my thoughts, His thoughts and the thoughts of the Evil one. Mark’s material is helpful here too!

Father, I am remembering my journey this morning. About two weeks after surrendering to You, I had the thought “This is so clear I don’t see how everyone can’t see it!” Two weeks later I was thinking “This is so confusing I don’t see how anyone can find it!” It was as though You had lead me through an incredibly complex maze, making sure I took all the correct turns. You then left me to try and find my way through on my own. And I was taking wrong turn, after a wrong turn, after wrong term. I began to understand that You were wanting me to see both the clarity and the difficulties. And in remembering these things this morning Lord, I realized then as I realize now, that You are far more willing to communicate than we are to pursue and learn the skills we need to hear You day by day. So Lord I pray for myself and for those reading this blog, that You will help us to hear, to hear clearly, and as Your sheep to know Your voice. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment