Saturday, March 24, 2018

Inasmuch as you did it unto the least of My brethren, you did it unto Me

Have you been tempted to give up on to somebody. I mean people can be so … well words escape me, acceptable words anyway :-). Am talking about children, spouses, friends, coworkers etc., etc. who let you down, who frustrate you, who deliberately provoke you or are just generally mean.

I’m sure you don’t have anybody in your life like that! But what I find, is that whenever I’m tempted to give up on somebody, the Lord always reminds me of His patience with me. And if He is so patient with me should I not be patient with others? And as this quote from Matthew 25:40 implies, He wants us to think of, and treat others as someone made in His image, and so of infinite value.

I’m not suggesting here, that we should put up with verbal or other abuse. That would be codependency. We do need to have healthy boundaries! But for the Christian, there are tools that are available to help us in the frustrations of life. In particular Jesus tells us to pray for our enemies, and to do good to those who despitefully use us (Matthew 5:44). It’s amazing how much this changes me! It also helps me to remember that He knows my frame, that I am but dust (Psalm 103:14), in this way I don’t get too big for my britches!

Father, the virtues that you call me to, compassion, loving kindness, patience, endurance and the like, they do not come naturally. Thank You for Your patience with us, with me. Lord keep me closed day by day, so that as I drink deeply from the wells of salvation, I may increasingly bear the fruit of Your Spirit, love joy peace etc., etc. And I will give You all the honour and the glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment