Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Word of God is living, effective, sharp, piercing and discerning

it would be hard to overvalue the Word of God, to overvalue its beauty, its living nature and its effectiveness in our lives. In this quote from Hebrews 4:12 we are told that it is sharper than a two-edged sword and it is piercing and it is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. in particular when we immerse ourselves in His Word, we can be sure that God will use it to expose the lies we tell ourselves as well as false and or selfish motives. And I take great comfort in this, this morning, since I know how easily my wicked heart can lead me astray. Actually, I have seen but a glimpse of this wickedness, since “Who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9).

When I am feeding daily on His Word, He uses it to show me the way I should go, it convicts me of sin when I have strayed from His ways, shows me how to get back on track, and finally it shows me how to stay on track (2 Timothy 3:16). This morning the Lord used His word to help me overcome deep defilement from something I inadvertently heard yesterday. This is called a trigger in recovery, and I found myself wrestling with deep disgust and temptation over which with His help I have been walking in victory for years and years.

But His Word had prepared me for such times “Let he who thinks he stand take care lest he fall” (1 Corinthians 10:12). And through His word I have come to know my heart well enough to know something of what I am capable of, and to know that it it is in His strength and not my own, that I walk in victory. Next His Word assured me that with His help I could overcome this temptation and defilement (1 Corinthians 10:13; 1 John 1:9). Finally His Word reminded me that He had already provided me with the weapon I needed to overcome. In particular it tells me that I have the authority to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).

Father, thank You that when I seek to walk in humility, knowing that it is You who saved me and that it is You who keeps me, then I have access to all of the tools I need to walk in victory, and so bring honour and glory and praise to Your name. I pray for those this morning Lord who like me know they are constantly in need of Your help and grace and mercy. And I thank You Lord that when we fully put our trust and hope in You, then You so freely give us these things. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment