Tuesday, March 27, 2018

We have this treasure in jars of clay

The treasure that Paul is talking about in this quote from in 2nd Corinthians 4:7, is “Christ in you the hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27). Elsewhere we are told that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19). So that God is not only with us (Emanuel), but God is also in us. The problem is that we are jars clay, and that clay is opaque, you can’t see through it.

There is an illustration of what needs to happen in Judges 7. The Lord had instructed Gideon to take 100 men to take trumpets and torches inside jars of clay. The battle was won, when the jars of clay were broken allowing the torches to give light, and the trumpets was sounded. The point is that the good news can only be truly heard when the jars of clay are broken.

And what this means is perhaps best summed up in what David said when, after being confronted with his sin, he repented. And what he said was “A broken and contrite heart of God you will not despise” (Psalm 51:17). In other words the light shines in the darkness when we come to Him in repentance and humility. It is only then that our lives will teach transgresses His way (Psalm 51:13).

Father, I not only give you permission to do what needs to be done in order that the treasure that is You in me, will shine out to this wicked and hurting world. I not only give You permission, I even ask You to do whatever is necessary, whatever it takes. I used to ask You to break me, now I simply ask You to do whatever it takes. Lord, I so want to do my part in what You call me to in bringing many to see and fear and to put their trust in You. Whatever it takes Lord, whatever it takes in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment