Thursday, March 22, 2018

The deeper the pit the greater His glory!

It seems to be a common experience that many of us have, of coming to the end of ourselves, coming to the end of our rope! The psalmist describes this as a desolate pit (Psalm 40:2). The image seems to be of the predicament Jeremiah found himself in when he was literally dropped into a pit which was waist high in miry clay. At such times we cry out to the Lord, and may even make promises to Him. And some of us follow through, and some do not.

I’ve been in a number of desolate pits over the years. The first lead to my conversion. I found myself an ocean away from my little daughter with nothing I can do about it, and it sucked the life out of me. More recently I was hearing many stories in a recovery group, of a number of different scenarios where people came to the end of themselves. We had been responding to an exceptional testimony of a man who had got life because of a murder he committed. At the end of his rope, he found Christ, and became part of a revival inside the pen. Lifers are not easily paroled, but such was the change in this man’s life, that it was eventually granted. And now he is a recovery leader on the outside.

Corrie ten-Boom is one of my heroines. Together with her sister she was imprisoned in Ravensbrück concentration camp during the war, for hiding Jews from the Nazis. Before she died, the sister told Corey to take this message to the world. “There is no pit so deep, that God is not deeper still. They will believe us,” she said “because of where we have been!” And emerging from this deep pit, the Lord did indeed use Corrie to travel the world bringing honour and praise and glory to His wonderful Name.

Lord, these desolate pits are crossroads. When we cry out to You in our helplessness, You lift us up out of the pit. You put our feet on a rock, You establish our steps and put a song in our mouths, a song of praise unto our God. And the result is that many shall see and fear and put their trust in You (Psalm 40:1 – 3). This is my testimony, and Lord I hold You to Your promise that many shall see and fear and put their trust in You. And I will indeed give You all the honour and all the glory, and all the praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment