Saturday, February 2, 2019

Do you want to be made whole? (III) Responding with faith

The writer to the Hebrews speaks of those who when they heard the word it did not profit them, because it was not mixed with faith (Hebrews 4:2). In fact I have seen many miraculous physical healings, I have even received some in my own body. Nevertheless each new situation seems to present a new challenge, and I’m not sure I will ever get to the place where I never need to respond with “I believe, help my unbelief” ( Mark 9:24). I have recently been diagnosed with the wet form of macular degeneration in my left eye. I have sought prayer for this several times, and there seems to be some improvement, but it’s very subjective. By "coincidence” we were independently discussing healing this week, and I was challenged by a sister in the Lord’s testimony, of the healing of her migraine headaches.

In fact she had received a revelation of her birthright concerning healing. Having read the Scripture “He sent forth His Word and healed them” (Psalm 107:20), she asked Him for a Word. He reminded her of a familiar one “By his stripes we are healed” (Isaiah 53:5). The stripes of course referred to the welts left by scourging (Mark 15:15), and the the point is that provision is made for our healing in the atonement. It’s not automatic, Paul for example, did not receive healing from his “thorn in the flesh” (2 Corinthians 12:7-10). But in my sister's case, the Lord had quickened His word, He had sent it forth, and she received it by faith. The Lord took the migraine from her, but she was tested. In fact, it came back, but she took authority over it and it diminished. It came back a third time and she took authority over it again. And after that it has not returned!

It is something of a mystery to know why not everybody gets healed. Notwithstanding the fact that our prayers need to be mixed with faith, it is outrageous to learn that some who have not been healed have been blamed for their lack of faith by the ones praying for them. I would rather blame the lack of faith on the one praying. Jesus never rebuked those seeking healing for their lack of faith, He did however rebuke the disciples when their prayers had not resulted in healing (Mark 9:19). We are told that Paul did not receive his healing “lest he should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations” (2 Corinthians 12:7). In the same passage however, the Lord promises that His grace is sufficient for us whether we are healed or not, and also that His strength is perfected in us, in and through our weaknesses (verse 9).

Father, if we never pray for anybody certainly nobody will get healed. But if we pray for many some at least will get healed. And Lord, as I seek to press into Your promises I pray once again “I believe help my unbelief.” Thank You Lord that Your grace is indeed sufficient, that You have promised to supply all of my needs according to Your riches in glory. I know by faith that You do all things well. Thank You for the measure of healing that You have given, and I praise and bless You again this morning, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment