Sunday, March 24, 2019

Bless the LORD, O my soul … And forget not all His benefits

At a time of extreme personal distress and difficulty, we read that David strengthened himself in the Lord (1 Samuel 30:6). And though we do not know the occasion of this Psalm (103), it does seem to be a perfect example of him doing just that. When things are going wrong, or things are not happening the way we want that to happen, or as fast as we want them to, it’s easy to get discouraged. And at such times, we need to learn from David who counseled himself (his soul), essentially preaching the gospel to himself. In fact three times in this Psalm he instructs himself to bless the Lord (verses 1, 2, 22). And in typical Hebrew parallelism this instruction includes remembering the benefits with which, as we read in Psalm 68:19, He daily loads us down.

This morning we are looking at the three of these benefits: He forgives all our iniquities, heals all our diseases and redeems our life from destruction (verses 3, 4a). In the midst of trials, temptations and difficulties, how easy it is to forget, to forget (or take for ranted) the fact that all our sins and iniquities are forgiven, all of them! But not only this, He redeems our life from destruction! And I am remembering this morning the destruction that followed the natural consequences of the sins of my youth. The redemption of these things, the putting right of the destruction, is not yet complete all these years later. I do know however, that God is using all these things to help others to come to terms with, and to overcome, their own past. And for this, and many other things, and with all that is within me, I bless His holy Name (verse 1b).

With regard to the healing of all (not just some) of my diseases, I know that ultimately healing will be complete in the hereafter. But in the meantime, I can press into and claim my youth to be renewed like the eagle (verse 5b). In many ways my body is showing signs of its age, nevertheless I have had a significant healing in my knees. Whereas before going down steps was difficult, I can now run up and down stairs. So surely if He can do that for one of my difficulties, He can do it for them all. So I am pressing in, and declaring and contending for divine health. Yes I know I have to die eventually, but I want to die healthy! No it’s not a joke, Moses died healthy at the tender age of 120 (Deuteronomy 34:7)!

Father I praise and bless and magnify and worship Your holy and precious and lovely Name again this morning. Forgive me Lord for the times I have allowed circumstances to move me away from thankfulness. Please remind me in those times, to counsel my soul, and to remember and to rehearse Your many, many benefits. Who is a God like you Father, pardoning my offences and daily loading me down with benefits both in the here and now and forevermore? You are indeed worthy of honour and glory and praise and I ascribe greatness to You again this morning. I give You thanks and I bless Your holy Name in Jesus Name I pray Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment