Sunday, March 31, 2019

When I am weak (II) More than conquerors

In the previous post on the subject “When I’m weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:10), I mentioned that at the beginning of my journey I had called out to God in my weakness and pain. And though circumstances did not change, my ability, with His help, to handle them did. But it was survivor mode, not the abundant life. I didn’t realize it at first, but this was just the first step on a journey. I have, in fact, been in recovery for many years now, however I felt led recently to go to my very first meetings of AA, Alcoholics Anonymous. Knowing that I was a newcomer, I was asked to share. I introduced myself “Hello, my name is Phil, and I am one of you!” Indeed I am, I am joyfully aware that without my higher power, who happens to be Jesus, I am powerless to live the promised abundant life (John 10:10b). Admitting my powerlessness is of course, the first of the twelve steps of AA.

But why joyfully? Well when I am weak, and I reach out to Him, then He makes available to me all the resources of heaven. And this morning I am thinking about my journey to become more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37). So first of all what exactly has He made available to me to help me get there? Well, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man, what God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Corinthians 2:9). We do not have many times, because we do not ask (James 4:2). But when we do, He is “able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or imagine, according to the power that works in us” (Ephesians 3:20). His power and His authority are indeed at work in the one whose higher power is Jesus. When Jesus is my higher power, these things are my birthright my inheritance!

But becoming more than a conqueror is not automatic. Indeed when I was first saved, I was little more than a survivor. However, now that I know there is so very much more, I am not content to stay there. But if it is not automatic, then how do I tap into it? It is by believing, and by pressing in (see January 20 post), by contending for the things that are promised. I’m not saying that I have arrived, but I am further along than when I was first saved. And my part is being faithful; taking in His Word; meditating upon it; sitting before Him in worship and praise; not neglecting to come together with the saints; provoking and being provoked to love and good works. In other words fully cooperating in ongoing the learning process of what it means to be a disciple. If this sounds exhausting, it is without Him! But when I am vitally connected to Him, these things come naturally and are a pleasure, and I can do all things through Him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13)!

Father, thank You for your promise that if we draw near to You, You will draw near to us (James 4:7). Lord we need to daily encounter You, I do! I long to be daily lost in wonder love and praise, and I need, as Paul did, to be energized and mightily inspired by You in an ongoing basis (Colossians 1:29). And I will not forget this morning Lord, that more often than not, that becoming more than conquerors only comes through the fire and the battle, through the pain and through the turmoil. We are after all in a battle to the death with the enemy of our souls. Give us the grace Father to be more than conquerors in the midst of it all. And we will give You the glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment