Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Iron sharpening iron (V) The goal - sweet fellowship

The goal of iron sharpening iron, is twofold. Firstly it is to enable us to come together in humility at the foot of the cross. Secondly it is to put the friction of iron sharpening iron behind us, and with the Lord’s help to come into times of sweet fellowship where we in gentleness and humility we confess our faults one to another (James 5:16). It is a process, and at the beginning it can be very painful, but if we both push through, the rewards are great. This is not just theory with me! Let me explain. Over the years my openness has, at times, been met with responses that include judgement, accusation and the other person trying to fix me. As you may imagine, this is very painful and discouraging. There were times (not always) when they were just trying to be helpful. But in close and valuable relationships if it is not helpful, it needs to be challenged.

I remember a time when, with a long time prayer partner, I had shared a personal fault. This was met with the start of a lecture which, by my objection, was stopped in it’s tracks. At one point in the conversation I asked if I could say something that would likely hurt. Because the relationship was longstanding and there was mutual trust I was given permission (Proverbs 27:6). The response was of brokenness “I didn’t realize I was doing that, I was wrong, I am so sorry, will you please forgive me?” This brokenness pulled out a tender hearted response in me, and we realized that we were truly together at the foot of the cross. A time of sweet fellowship followed as we thanked the Lord for the work He had done in both our lives, and for demonstrating that indeed there is healing when allow the iron sharpen iron process to morph in confessing our faults one to another (James 5:16).

The request to forgive is an important part of the process. Just saying sorry could be met with an unspoken “Well I should jolly well think so!” But a request to be forgiven requires a yes or no answer. Since we know we need to forgive, a negative answer would put us in the wrong. And though forgiving may be hard and it may need to be a process, it starts with the choice to forgive! We may have a long way to go in the goals stated in this post in most of our relationships. But it starts with a putting off, and a putting on. We put off anger, wrath and malice, and we put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness and longsuffering. We put on love. It is commanded (Colossians 3:8,12,13)!

Father, how good and how pleasant it is when we dwell together in unity (Psalm 133). But in order to come to this place Lord, something has to die. We have to die to to the self life, to thinking and acting as if life is all about me. It is however Kingdom work, and it has eternal value! So I pray Kingdom of God come, will of God be done in my relationships in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment