Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Guilt, shame and conscience (IV) Repentance and joy

True guilt, like pain has purpose. It is a warning that something is wrong. Ignoring guilt is a bit like taking the bulb out of the warning light in a car. Guilt not dealt with properly, can be crippling. King David described the feeling as “my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long, my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.” He cries out to God “Make me hear joy and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice.” He asks God to “Restore the joy of my salvation” (Psalm 32:3,4; 51:8,12). I said earlier, the cure for guilt is to be forgiven, and ultimately only God can forgive sins (Mark 2:7). David shows us the way “I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,’ And You forgave the iniquity of my sin” (Psalm 32:5; 1 John 1:9).

We cannot hide our sins from God. “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account” (Hebrews 4:13). And since we must give an account, surely it is better to come out of hiding now, and to confess so that our sins be forgiven, covered and cleansed (1 John 1:9 again). But what does it mean to confess? Well first and foremost as above, we need to acknowledge our sin. We need to repent and ask forgiveness. It is here where the pain of our guilt comes in. The Scripture says “Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.” What is godly sorrow? Well the opposite, worldly sorrow, includes being sorry I got caught, remaining in our guilt, and/or not being willing to change. Godly sorrow is not only willing to change, it actually does something about it. It produces diligence to do the right thing (1 Corinthians 7:10).

And just as there is godly sorrow and earthly sorrow, so also there is godly joy and earthly joy. I remember in the months leading up to my conversion I had gone to a party where I was its “life and soul.” When I had first arrived it was dead, I started to change the atmosphere by moving in time to the music. I don’t remember what else I did. What I do remember, is that after the joint was rocking, I left and walked the streets weeping, I was so empty and lonely and in such emotional pain. So I know earthly joy, I was wearing the mask of joy! But I also know and experience the joy of my salvation. When we are at loggerheads with someone on earth, and we truly reconcile and make up, there is joy. But this joy is nothing compared with the joy of reconciliation with God when you have been very, very far from Him (Luke 15:20-24).

Father, help us to keep short accounts with You, so that we do not need to go into the depths of guilt into which David went. Thank You Lord for the joy of reconciliation. Bring us back to our first love and first joy this morning Lord. Then take us deeper, bring us to the place where we have joy unspeakable and full of glory (1 Peter 1:8). And we will give You praise and glory again this morning Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment