Friday, March 29, 2019

When I am weak, then I am strong

There are many things in Christianity that are so, so puzzling to the unbeliever. For example, the first shall be last, or he who would gain his life must lose it (Matthew 20:16; 16:25), or this morning’s quote from 2 Corinthians 12:10. In this very same verse Paul is saying that he takes pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. And why? It is because God’s strength in and through him is perfected in his weaknesses (verse 9). Receiving God’s strength in the midst of our trials works in the same way that we received His wisdom when we admit that we lack it, and ask for it in faith. It is simply given (James 1:5,6)! How does He do this? Well, He may whisper into our hearts, or friend may say something, or circumstances may show us the way. In fact He has a thousand ways to do it, and somehow we know.

It’s hard to put your trust in something or someone that you’re not even sure is there, but "without faith it is impossible to please God" (Hebrews 11:6). I have discovered that the difficult times, the times of stress, disappointments. etc., etc., are crossroads. I can choose to trust Him, or I can choose to be offended. As an unbeliever I had to have the rug pulled out from under me a number of times, before I came to the place where I realized I needed help if I was going to survive. And in my weakness, in my desperation , I cried out to Him and He came through for me. I do need to say, that circumstances did not change, what changed however, was my ability with His help to handle them. He is the God of all comfort and grace, and like Paul (verse 9) I experienced the sufficiency of that grace. It not only got me through, but it brought me into a peace beyond comprehension (Philippians 4:7).

I don’t know where you are in your journey this morning. But whether you are there, or not quite there yet, He invites us into encounter Him. "Taste and see that the He is good" (Psalm 38:4). And over and over I have found Him faithful when I have come to Him in child like faith, choosing to trust Him in spite of all that’s going on. And He has always given me grace to help in my time of need (Hebrews 4:16). And it is about coming to Him! It is not primarily about coming to a theology, or a church, or a bunch of rules. It is coming to a rock, a safe place, a shelter in the storm, a very present help in time of need. And I can say with a multitude of the saints this morning, that He is faithful, He is precious, and worthy of my praise.

Father, it is little wonder that the wisdom of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. But to those of us who believe, it is the power of God (1 Corinthians 1:18). I have heard it said Lord that I believe, therefore I understand. I certainly understand a lot more this side of faith, but there are still many things I do not yet understand. As the Scripture says, Your ways are past finding out (Romans 11:33). I will have a lot of questions for You on that day, but in the meantime even when I do not understand I choose to trust You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment