Sunday, September 24, 2017

Blows that hurt cleanse away evil, As do stripes the inner depths of the heart

The Lord use this verse in my life from Proverbs 20:30 years ago to convince me to go back to the help I so desperately needed at the time. As I was reminded of this recently, a companion verse came to mind “It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees” (Psalm 119:71). it caused me to think again, about the fact that pain at times, has purpose!

I know in my own life, it was feeling the consequences of my own poor choices (and wanting to escape), that led to my conversion. But it didn’t stop there, because the hurts, habits and hangups that were part of my life didn’t suddenly disappear. And my acting out of these hurts, habits and hangups continued to have consequences in my life. And some of these consequences were and are painful. So what would motivate me to change? There are two recovery saying that come to mind. The first is “We will not change, until the pain of being stuck becomes greater than the fear and pain of change,” and the second is "We do not change when we see the light, we change when we feel the heat."

I have come to realize that, out of love, the Lord designed reality this way. The biblical principle that we reap what we sow, cannot be broken. So then, if we let these things do their job, and if at the same time we read the principles and decrees of Scripture and obey, then indeed the blows that hurt will cleanse away evil, as do stripes the inner depths of the heart.

Father, I thank You this morning that though You love me exactly as I am, You love me far too much to leave me that way. I thank You this morning for the decree “Whom the Lord loves He chastens,” because this helps me feel secure. I know my own propensity to fool myself, and it is comforting to know that when I do, You will not simply let me go, but will use the consequences to bring me back on track. Abba, I am Your little boy! In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment