Sunday, September 3, 2017

If by the Spirit you put to death the deeds and the desires of the flesh you shall live

The title of this post is a combination of quotes from Romans 8:13, and Galatians 5:24. I put them together because they have a similar theme, and it is the substance of a prayer that I have prayed over and over. In particular I have prayed “Lord help me to do my part in putting to death the deeds of the flesh, and also to do my part in crucifying the desires of the flesh.”

In the Romans quote Paul says “If by the Spirit, you put to death the deeds of the flesh you shall live!” I see a cooperation here with the Lord. It is by the Spirit, but also it is me putting to death the deeds of the flesh. In Romans 7, Paul tells us that he does the things he does not want to do, and he does not do the things that he wants to do, and then he cries out “Who will deliver me from this body of death?” He answers Jesus Christ the Lord! He immediately tells us that there is now therefor no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. The (in my opinion) inappropriate chapter division, can mask that He want us to rest in our salvation. This does not mean we can take it for granted (see below)

I long ago discovered that (at least most of the time) God does not overrule our self will, but I also know that the deeds and the desires of the flesh do not die easily. So morning by morning I need to come to Him in full and complete surrender. We see the balance I am talking about here in Philippians 2:12, 13. In verse 12 Paul tells us that we need to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. It is indeed about total surrender. Then in verse 13, he tells us why. It is because God is at work in the wherewithal to help us to do what we cannot do without Him, but He also works to change our desires.

In Psalm 37:4, the psalmist tells us that if we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our heart. The point is that when we delight ourselves in Him, we are essentially giving Him permission to change our desires to bring them into conformity to His perfect, and life-giving will.

Father, this morning as I struggle between excitement and sheer terror at the decision I am needing to make, I want Your perfect will. And I come back to the verse You underlined for me yesterday morning, that if I acknowledge You in all my ways You will indeed direct my paths. Thank You Lord for your settling, life-giving peace. I give You all the honour and all the glory and all the praise in Jesus name amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment