Monday, September 4, 2017

that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings

In context (Philippians 3), Paul has been telling us that he had to loose all the things he formerly valued, in order to gain the things he now treasured. The former treasures, he tells us, hindered him from gaining the new treasures. They hindered him from gaining Christ, and from the righteousness which is from God by faith. Finally they prevented him from knowing Christ and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His suffering.

Probably a first reaction for most of us to this last treasure, would be to think well I would be more than happy to enter into his resurrection power, but I’m not so sure about the fellowship of his sufferings! But what does it even mean, the fellowship of his sufferings?

I think of this a little bit like buddies in a war. The trials and trauma and difficulties are the very things that knit their friendship together as they go through these things together. And in the end it forges their friendship into an unbreakable friendship. The Lord wants to do likewise with us.

Part of the problem though, is that we forget that we are in a war, and this is at least partially because the enemy is invisible. in Ephesians 6, Paul tells us that we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers against the rulers of this age! And because we don’t live in the reality of this, we fail to see our struggles, trials and difficulties in the light of what they really are. This morning I am being reminded that all these things have the enormous potential to draw us deeper into our relationship with Christ!

To continue the war analogy, soldiers get hurt, wounded. And when they do, there is a necessary time of convalescence. And at the end of this convalescence, there is likely a reluctance to get back into the battle. And it seems to me that that is exactly where I am this morning, and it’s scary! I covet the prayers of anyone reading this. Thank you!

Father, thank You that You promise never to leave me nor forsake me. Thank You Lord that when I fully surrendered, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Father the serenity prayer comes to mind again “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.” In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment