Sunday, September 10, 2017

Now we see in a mirror, dimly

I should have solved all the problems of the world when I was 16, while I still knew everything! I’m joking of course, but the point is, in the arrogance of youth, it’s easy to fail to realize how little you know.

The mirror that Paul was talking about in this phrase from 1 Corinthians 13:12, was the kind of mirror that was available in his day. They were essentially polished metal, and allowed for a relatively poor (or dim) reflection. The application of what he is saying is that what we see, what we understand is always limited. In fact, the more we know, the more we realize that we don’t know. And this is not even to distinguish between knowledge and wisdom!

The Christian, has the advantage of understanding that there is someone higher and greater and wiser than himself. And this One is ready and willing and able to share His knowledge and wisdom, when we acknowledge our need of Him, and ask!

This morning, as I continue to wrestle with what I want and what I don’t want in terms of a decision I am in the process of making, I am grateful that I can turn to Him. The fact is that I am experiencing some anxiety, and the easy way to get rid of that, is to make the safe choice. But I know myself well enough to know, that the safe choice can be boring, and that what I think I don’t want, can turn out to be the very best thing, and the very thing that with 20/20 hindsight I not only want, but I’m grateful for.

Father, thank You for showing me that what I am wrestling with is fear. I do not want to make decisions out of fear, but I also realize, that fear can be useful in keeping me on the right path. So so I claim James 1:5 again, confessing that I lack wisdom, and asking for it. Thank You that You have promised that it will be given, and I rest in that, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment