Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Bizarre manifestations and offence (I)

Historically, revivals have often been accompanied by rather strange, even bizarre manifestations, things that have been described as physical responses to being touched by the Spirit. We don’t hear too much of this history, because the church has suppressed it (is embarrassed by it?)! Last day I mentioned the phenomenon of “falling under the power of the Spirit,” but in many ways, this is one of the less bizarre manifestations! In a number of conversations I have had about these things, it is clear that the way that some people determine if something is not of God, is if it makes them uncomfortable or if it is bizarre. I even had one leader in the city tell me that he didn’t believe that something I was manifesting was of God, because it was not within his experience! In other words his experience of the Spirit was the yardstick he used to determine if something was of God or not!

But are such yardsticks the correct tools to determine if something is of God or not? Well talking to unbelievers about the Lord, or gently and humbly bringing someone’s fault to his or her attention (Galatians 6:1), may make us uncomfortable. But does this mean we should not do it? We need to acknowledge, that no matter how long we have been a Christian our knowledge is still very much in part (1 Corinthians 13:12). And there are some things in Scripture which are truly bizarre, things which make me uncomfortable, and which are outside my experience. In particular, the Lord told Isaiah to walk naked and barefoot for three years as a sign against Egypt and Ethiopia that it would happen to them (Isaiah 20:2-4). Let me hasten to add, there are strong reasons to believe that He would not do that today (Hint: it would too easily be identified as part of the shameless exhibitionism of our culture)!

When we come across manifestations which are bizarre, which make us uncomfortable and which are outside our experience, rather than simply dismissing them, we need to take them to the Lord and ask “Can this possibly be of You? If so please show me?" John Arnott tells of having these feelings when he encountered a worship leader who, in the middle of her song, would suddenly start to crow like a rooster. Being almost sure this was not of the Lord he asked her “Do you know what this means?” ‘Oh yes’ she replied, ‘the Lord is telling the church to wake up!’ When it is explained, when it is interpreted, it is a message you would not soon forget! It does of course, need to be explained!

Father, I need Your help to hear when You are trying to speak to me in ways that are outside my box. I also need discernment Lord, because not everything is of You. We also need to know how to pastor this Father, and even as this prayer is unfolding, the parable of the wheat and the weeds come to mind (Matthew 13:24-30). In particular I sense You saying that there are times we should not be quick to exercise control. And I know that we are likely to be criticized for this. So we also need Your peace and love and grace and mercy and hope and joy. Lord I welcome You this morning in whatever way You want to manifest Yourself. And I will give You the honour and the glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment