Saturday, December 15, 2018

Ezekiel’s river (Ezekiel 47:1-12)

The river described in Ezekiel is clearly symbolic, it flows from the sanctuary (the very presence of God verse 1), goes down the the barren areas of the Dead Sea valley, into the Dead sea itself (verse 8). However “it shall be that every living thing that moves, wherever the rivers go, will live” (verse 9). Indeed when it reaches the Dead sea, even its waters are healed and “There will be a very great multitude of fish, because these waters go there; for they will be healed, and everything will live wherever the river goes” (verse 10). It is because these very same things are happening in the “Catch the Fire” movement that comes out of Toronto (life, healing and incredible fruitfulness), that those of us in the movement talk about being in the river. Water of course is symbolic of cleaning, and the Holy Spirit.

As I said this passage is clearly symbolic, it is not like a normal river. We see this because at thousand cubits it is only ankle deep, but at a thousand cubits it is knee deep, in another thousand cubits it is waist deep and then finally so deep and wide it cannot be crossed (verses 3-5). This word picture is something of a parable of my own journey, and the journey of many others, of immersion into the river. We read about immersion in water elsewhere, John the Baptist tells that Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8). John’s baptism was full immersion, not ankle deep, not knee deep, not even waist deep, but full immersion, so surly Jesus baptizing in Holy spirit would also be full immersion. What I find interesting about Ezekiel’s river, is that it seems to say that we can be into the river at various depths, I mean that it allows for this to be a journey of going ever deeper into ever fuller immersion in Holy Spirit.

Someone I respect deeply, talks about his being a charismatic with a seatbelt. Is he waist deep or knee deep? I don’t know. What is the seatbelt about? In fact it is prudent to be cautious, especially in the light of the many excesses of some who call themselves charismatic, especially those who are not willing to evaluate their walk by the Scriptures (see December 10 and 11 posts). My own journey started in a fellowship that at the very lease devalued the river, and that was me too. So for years I was not even ankle deep. However, slowly at times, but not so slowly at others, the Lord showed me that unless I give Him complete control (was willing to go out of my depth), then fullness of life and healings and the fruitfulness would be somewhat stunted! I am guessing that the slow times were because I needed to be sure it was Him, and in particular, that it was consistent with His Word.

Lord, thank You that You understand the need to be cautious. Thank You too for the many ways that You brought me from were I was to where I am today. There is no sense though Father in which I feel that I have arrived, in fact I feel that I have hardly begun. I need You to keep me feeling this way Lord, please help me to say low and teachable. Thank You Father that there is always more, in fact there is always a great deal more. Thank You for the adventure, for the healing and for the fruit not only in my own life, but in the lives of those with whom I am sharing this journey in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment