Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Where meek souls will receive him still, the dear Christ enters in

It’s not about Church, it’s not about correct theology, though I am not saying these things are not important, but if as I was saying yesterday, Christmas is all about me, all for my benefit, then a response is called for. Gift giving and receiving in a culture where we have very little physical needs can be a challenge. My youngest granddaughter gave me a tiny plastic shovel for Christmas, and her mother helpfully suggested that I could use it to shovel myself out of the car if I got snowed in. Bless her heart she so wanted Grandpa to be please with her gift. It is no fun to be excited about giving a gift, and it not being received well.

I know something of this in my own life. My grandfather was a troubled man, never having recovered from a traumatic childhood. I never understood this as a child, and I remember my disappointment at him not even bothering to open the Christmas presents I handed him. He would simply put my present aside as I sought to give it to him. All this to say that a gift may be offered, but not received. God gave us a gift at Christmas when He wrapped His Son in flesh and gave Him to us as the “indescribable gift” (2 Corinthians 9:15).

The origin of Boxing Day is disputed, some say it was the day servants received Christmas Boxes (i.e. presents) from the master. Others say it had to do with the alms boxes. For us Christ Himself and the salvation He offers are an indescribable Christmas Box. But like the man on death row who is offered a Presidential pardon, it has to be received in order for the pardon to come into effect. And we need to see our need, the "meek soul" (a quote from the Christmas Carol 'O Little Town of Bethlehem') who acknowledges this and invites Him in, is then indeed received by the “dear Christ!” For “as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12).

Father, thank You Lord for Your indescribable gift. Truly Your gift is the one that keeps on giving. Thank You Lord for all the benefits of Your passion, for the presence of Your Holy Spirit and for the principles and promises of Your Word. I want to pray again this morning Lord for all who find Christmas difficult, that we all together in spite of it all we may with Habakkuk choose to rejoice in the LORD, and be joyful in God our Saviour (Habakkuk 3:18) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment