Monday, December 10, 2018

Rightly dividing the word of Truth (IV) Balance (III) Word and Spirit (I)

When it comes to talking about balance, it seems to me that very few of us if any, I get the balance between the Word and the Spirit absolutely correct. What I do know, it is that there is no issue that is more acrimonious than this. On the one side, there are those who clearly and loudly proclaim that anyone of the charismatic persuasion is not a Christian. But accusations fly both ways, with accusations of rigid legalism and unloving applications of truth. Certainly there are abuses on both sides of this issue.

I embraced the things of the Spirit (I don’t like to use labels) in spite of the church that nurtured me, not because of it. I am, however very grateful to that church for implanting in me a strong appreciation for the Word. And I can see very clearly, many of the abuses that take place when the things of the Spirit are not tied closely to the Word. But I also know that things that are genuinely of God are also dismissed. It’s the old swing of the pendulum again. There is useful saying, that the Word without the Spirit you dry up, the Spirit without the Word you blow up (as in out-of-control), but the Spirit and the Word together you grow up.

Scripture itself gives us this balance. In the words of Jesus “The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The Words I have spoken to you--they are full of the Spirit and life” (John 6:63 NIV). Paul tells the Thessalonians “My gospel did not come to you in Word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit …..” (1 Thessalonians 1:5). In other words in Word, power and Holy Spirit! And the fact of the matter is, that much of the church has “a form of religion but denying its power” (2 Timothy 3:5). On the other hand, the time has already come of which Paul speaks when he says “They will not endure sound doctrine, but …. will turn their ears away from the Truth” (2 Timothy 4:3, 4). The Truth of course is the Bible (“Thy Word is Truth” John 17:17)!

Father, as you have been leading me to think and to blog on these things, I am seeing again the power of the balance of the objective Word of God tied to the subjective guidance and leading of your Holy Spirit. This generation needs Your Truth Lord, Your Word, but it also needs the demonstrations of the power of Your Holy Spirit. I thank You this morning Lord for the many prophecies of the coming revival, and I pray “even so come Lord Jesus” (Revelation 22:20), and I ask this in Your precious and Holy and lovely Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment