Thursday, December 13, 2018

Part (II) Bizarre manifestations and offence

In the context of manifestations, I often hear “Where’s that in the Bible,” or “Why would God do that?” In terms of the second question, it’s important to say that we really should not make understanding a test of truth, or of whether something is of God or not. Some things are hidden to intrigue us, to cause us pursue Him “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter it is the glory of kings to search them out (Proverbs 25:2). And searching things out is surly part of loving the Lord with all our mind (Mark 12:30). On the other hand “Who can know the mind of God” (Romans 11:34). If I knew God’s mind, then I would be God, and I’m not! To insist that I understand everything, is to make understanding an idol, and it is to throw out the concept of mystery. Remember that we only know in part (1 Corinthians 13:9).

Concerning “Where’s that in the Bible,” it is important not to be naïve. I hear some Christians say that their church does everything Biblically. Really? “Does your church have a carpet, does your church have a constitution, where do you find these things in the Bible?” We need to see three categories, things that are truly biblical, things that are neutral Biblically, and things that are un-Biblical. There are for example Biblical qualifications for leadership (i.e. 1 Timothy 3:2-7). Carpets and constitutions, in and of themselves, are neither Biblical nor un-Biblical. Of course the contents of a constitution can be un-Biblical, and no doubt some are. I leave it to the reader to supply his or her own examples of things in the third category!

So part of what I’m saying here, is that just because something cannot be found explicitly in the Bible, does not mean it’s not of the Lord. Of course it might not be! There was one manifestation that I have to admit really caused me to wonder. It is that the amalgam in some people’s teeth was miraculously changed into gold (Google ‘Gold teeth Catch the Fire Toronto’). You don’t have to agree with me, but I came to the conclusion that this was indeed of the Lord. This happened when I asked a lady I knew, who had received gold fillings, how this made her feel. Her response was “loved.” Being a miracle, it was either from the Lord or from the Devil ( 2 Thessalonians 2:9), and I couldn’t see why the Devil would want to make her feel loved and special. And there’s a way that it is Biblical anyway, the Bible talks about “signs and wonders.” And certainly, many of these thing caused, and continue to cause, me to wonder! But certainly not everything is genuine!

Father, the slightly misquoted Shakespearean verse comes to mind this morning “There are more things under heaven and earth, than you have dreamed of in your theology Horatio.” Your Word tells us Father that great is the mystery of godliness (1 Timothy 3:16), and we throw out mystery at our peril! Father You promise that Your Spirit will lead us into all truth (John 16:13). And since Your Word is Spirit breathed (2 Timothy 3:16) He will not contradict Your Word. So I chose to believe this morning Lord, that Your ability to guide and lead me is far, far greater than the Evil one’s ability to deceive me when I fully submit myself and everything to You (Romans 12:1; Proverbs 3:5,6). And I trust in this, this morning Lord, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment