Sunday, December 30, 2018

To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life

They say there is no such thing as a free lunch, and one of the objections that people have who are skeptical of the gospel, is that it takes away all initiative and responsibility. But they misunderstand that what the gospel does is to set us free to serve without fear. So first of all I don’t need to worry if I will ever be good enough for heaven, because the moment I receive Him as Lord, He qualifies me to be an inheritor of the saints in light (Colossians 1:12 see also John 5:24 and 2 Corinthians 5:21). But that this does not take away initiative and responsibility is clear from the verse following this morning quote from Revelation 21:6. It says “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.”

So we build on the sure foundation of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 3:11), and the picture Paul gives us of what can be built is gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay and straw (verse 12). So silver could be giving to the poor out of a pure heart to please God, and wood could be giving to the poor to be seen by men. The latter, we are told already have their reward (the praise of men Matthew 6:1,2). Paul continuing with the analogy tells us that what we build on the foundation will be tested by fire (verse 13). So clearly the wood hay and straw will be burned up. Note that wood looks solid, durable, but it is no match for the fire. We cannot fool God, He truly knows our hearts (Psalm 44:21).

The point is that those who build with gold, silver or precious stones will receive a reward (verse 14). So there is the initiative! But those who build with wood, hay or straw will "suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet as through fire" (verse 15). We are told on that Day that God will wipe away all tears (Revelations 21:4). Being saved "yet as by fire" sounds painful, and I sometimes wonder if some (but certainly not all) of the tears He will wipe away are tears we shed because, after all He has done for us, we will have done so little for Him!

Father, I truly want to inherit all things. But what I think I desire more, is to hear from You “Well done good and faithful servant enter in to the joy of your Lord (Matthew 25:21). As I have been saying over the last couple of days You desire relationship over rules, and I love You Lord, and I want to please You, and that from me is reward in and of itself. Thank You Lord for the firm foundation based on the finished work of your Son. Thank You that I am secure, that nothing can truly harm me, and I look forward to that day when we meet face-to-face. And I give You all the honour and glory again this morning Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment