Saturday, August 17, 2019

That they may be one as We are One (I) Jesus’ prayer

A major part of what Jesus accomplished on the cross, is that He made made it possible not only for the World to be reconciled to Himself, but also for you and I to be reconciled to each other. In fact He links our forgiveness and reconciliation with Him,   to forgiveness and reconciliation with each other. That is we are to be “kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you” (Ephesians 4:32).   We are told that the Father’s primary purpose in sending Christ is that “in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him” (Ephesians 1:9, 10). And in case anyone is left in doubt,   Jesus prays in His High Priestly prayer that “they may be one as We are One” (John 17:11). As with the Ephesians reference, the prayer is aimed primarily at those who have believed in Him (verses 9, 20).

And part of what was opened up and made possible was that through Christ’s work on the cross, is that   He could, at the same time, be both righteous (just) and merciful.   So possible, but not automatic, as some like to think,   but possible (in fact certain) “to those who have faith in Him (Romans 3:26; 5:1).   So similarly then   Christ made it   possible for us to be reconciled to each other, but also similarly neither is it   automatic. And what is commanded is “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with everyone” (Romans 12:18). Two things here, the implication in the phrase “if possible,” indicates that it might not be possible. As the saying goes, it takes two to tango, meaning I can be determined to live at peace with you, but you can choose not to be at peace with me. So secondly then as much as depends on me. 

Before I came to faith in Christ, I used to say that the World was divided in two, those who loved me, and those who hated me. No doubt the way I was,   there were valid reasons to hate. I was a selfish son of gun (still not completely cured). But I didn’t care, because there were enough who loved me,   it didn’t seem to matter. When I became a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17) I received a new heart (Jeremiah 31:33),   and it suddenly mattered very much (in fact too much - more later). And there were times when I felt I needed to intervene in certain situations to prevent injustice. In doing so I made enemies. But I was praising the Lord this morning for   His promise that “When a man’s ways please the Lord He makes even his enemies to be a peace with him” (Proverbs 16:7). There were a couple of times when it took years and years. But against all odds, He did it because He is   faithful.

Father, I want to thank You this morning that when we surrender and cooperate with You, all heaven comes on side to accomplish Your purposes. Lord I am still waiting for some of the reconciliations You have promised, but I want to thank You for the   above first fruits of this promise You reminded me of this morning. First fruits are a promise of   more to come. So Lord please continue Your work in me as with,   Your   help,   I seek to do mine   as   I continue to wait on You. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment