Sunday, August 11, 2019

Sins of the Fathers ….. (VI) Word curses from “the Fathers”

Sticks and stones may break my bones…..! But it's not true that words can never hurt me.  Bones of course, can heal, but  negative words (curses) from "the Fathers” can wound us for a lifetime. We need to understand “the Fathers” as much more than dad (we wouldn’t want to leave the ladies out :) ). In fact “the fathers” include not only our ancestors,  but people who have,  or had,  influence in our lives (i.e. the boss etc.). It also includes the influence of the culture in which we are immersed. But in any case, what I need to say, is that  negative words spoken from those with whom we are in significant relationship, tend to wound far more deeply than words from strangers. so in particular mum and dad.  Now since we are not under the Law  (Romans 6:14), we don’t follow the command to stone those who curse mother or father (Exodus 20:17). Nevertheless, this verse  shows how strongly God feels about how we speak to our parents.

More generally,  “Life and death are in the power of the tongue” (Proverbs 18:21), and so particularly for for those of us who follows Christ, our words need to speak life not death, encouragement not putdowns, honour not dishonour. And this can be difficult, because many of us have received many curses (negative,  discouraging words).  Some of it can be seemingly mild. “You got 98% on your test? What happened to the other two marks?” But behind this, even when presented as jest, can lie a perfectionist attitude,  and  can cause us to be driven for the rest of our lives. It is a curse. More obvious curses include a mother saying  “You are just like your father, he was no good and neither are you!” We talked earlier about making war on the negative, and what I want to say here, is that if these things are not to have life long influence,  then we need to deal with them Biblically,  not just suppress them and try to forget. We do of course,  need to forgive and to honour in spite of what was “visited” on us (Exodus 20:5, 6,12). 

In Leviticus 26:40, 42 we read “But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers… then I will remember My covenant.” Some have called this identification repentance, because when we do this, we identify with our ancestors and repent on their behalf, as well as on our own. This important principle is taught in a recovery ministry “Restoring the foundations ministry” (RTF).  As in all prayer and repentance,  it is important to be specific. This morning the closing prayer will mimic what I was taught in RTF, using the example above,  of someone being told they would never be any good by their mother.  So here is a sample repentance prayer:-

Father, I forgive my mother for cursing me with the spoken words that I will never be any good. I repent for receiving this curse, and giving it place in my life. I ask You to forgive me Lord, and I receive Your forgiveness. I renounce and break the legal rights/power of this curse in my life,  based on the shed blood of Jesus Christ,  and His finished work on the Cross. I appropriate the power of the Cross to cancel all judgements and to stop all demonic influence associated with this curse, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment