Sunday, June 10, 2018

Contending for the faith (Jude 3, Part 1)

There are many battles in the Christian life, and these battles will not be won, if we are passive in our resistance. There are three things that I am contending for that I want to talk about this morning. The first is the battle to refuse to be discouraged. I have often described the prison ministry as exciting and frustrating. It’s exciting because I love the opportunity to share the Words of life. It’s frustrating, because while over and over I see them in responding positively, far too often when they get out, they go back to their “friends.” And before you know it they are back inside. But as I come to Him morning by morning, He encourages me not to be weary in well doing, because He promises that I will reap in due time, if I do not faint (Galatians 6:9).

The second battle I am facing in these days, is the battle of offence. At this point in time, it’s not so much that I am offended by what is happening to me, but rather I am being tempted to take up the offensive of what is happening to others I love. But if I take up their offence, then I am of no use to them, or myself, or anyone else! And I am learning to turn the grief I feel at these things, into prayer.

The third battle, has to do with contending for joy. In the midst of trials, temptations and difficulties, it’s far too easy to lose my joy. And one of the things that I need to be reminded of over and over, is to count it all joy in the midst of multifaceted trials and temptations (James 1:2), and to rejoice in the Lord always (Philippians 4:4). I can’t do this without Him, and I can’t do this unless I come to Him morning by morning to receive anew His encouragement, to turn over any potential offence to Him, and to embrace His joy in the midst of it all.

I want to thank You again this morning Lord, for Your partnership in the gospel. The trials, problems and difficulties are huge, but You my God are greater, You are stronger, and You will prevail. So all I need to do this morning is to stay close to You, and to believe that You will do it. Thank you Lord for the fresh bread that I received from You morning by morning. Thank You, thank You, thank You, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment