Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Contending for the faith (Part 3): Promises and prophecies

God had promised Abram a son (Genesis 12:7), but it had been over 10 years. So Abram and Sarai decided to try and make it happen with plan B (Genesis 16). The results were disastrous! In fact, the descendants of Isaac and Ishmael, Abram’s two sons are still fighting today. God still makes promises, in fact there are many exceedingly great and precious promises in the Word (2 Peter 1:4). And whether they be in the Word or individual promises, we like Abram can mess things up either by trying to make then happen, or by simply giving up.

There is a tendency to think that if God has made a promise or prophecy, then is going to happen independently of what we do, or do not do. But as with Abraham, our actions or lack thereof, can mess up things up. We will not thwart God’s ultimate purposes, but we can lose out on God’s first choice and best for us (but see Jeremiah 18:1ff). So I have come to regard prophecies and promises, as what God will do, when we fully cooperate with Him. In particular we need contend for them. So for example if we feel that God is calling us to be a pastor, then we should start to do the necessary preparation for such an office.

For Abram and Sarai, the main job in contending for the faith, was to continue to believe through the fire and testing of a long delay. I can identify! I have been waiting a long time for a promised reconciliation. sometime ago I was complaining to friend about how long it was taking. She told me “The trouble with God, is that He has no sense of time!” I have been tempted with plan B a number of times, but God has always done something to help me to wait. One time, it was hearing Patricia King say “I would rather get to heaven and ask God why His promise had not happened, than to get there and for Him to ask me why I had given up.” Never give up, never (Galatians 6:9)!

Father, waiting is certainly a fire, a refining fire. I mean did I hear correctly, or was it simply wishful thinking? Sometimes is it a battle to continue to believe! Thank You that when I came to You with these questions, You gave me confirmation after confirmation. Thank You for prompting me to write down all the different verses You have used to do this, and thank You for sending me back to some of them again this morning to remind me to continue to press in. Thank You that You are not a man You should lie, and that I can trust that You will do what You say You will do. Thank You for Your grace as I continue to wait in home in Jesus Name Amen

1 comment:

  1. Phil, this is so very helpful to me today. Thank you for listening to the Father's Heart and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete