Sunday, June 17, 2018

We will not likely change, until the pain of being stuck is greater than the pain and fear of change

There is a certain comfort in being stuck, the kudos the spouse of the alcoholic gets for putting up with the dysfunction, the familiarity of giving into the addiction, the relative safety of the same old, same old! I mean what’s the alternative? Change can be scary, wasn’t it curiosity that killed the cat? Better to stay stuck, a life of quiet desperation though unenviable, is manageable, at least so far! Better the devil I know!

But it’s not the promised abundant life, it’s not life in all its fullness (John 10:10b), it’s not joy unspeakable and full of glory (1 Peter 1:8)! It’s hard when you have not even began to experience these things, or when the last time you did, was in the distant past. But we think “If I start over, there are so many things that can go wrong.” The fear can paralyze us, it can! But living in fear is not living the life of faith. Living in fear is having more faith that the devil can work, than that God can!

So then there is the fear of change, but also (and not unrelated), is the pain. I might have to deal with those issues I have been putting off year after year. And I have been putting them off, because dealing with them is painful, I might have to relive the trauma. But again, a life of true faith imitates our forerunner, the One who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross despising the shame (Hebrews 12:2). And we don’t have to do it alone, He has promised that He will never leave us, and He is the God of all comfort and grace and peace and hope and love and joy.

Father, we need Your help to push through the pain and fear, I do! Help me again this morning Lord to continue to contend for Your promises. Thank You that You will never leave me nor forsake me. Thank You for Your promise that You will always provide the means whereby I may be able to endure what needs to be endured (1 Corinthians 10:13). Thank You for the joy of ongoing fellowship with You and Your faithful saints as I choose to give You my all, in Jesus Name Amen

1 comment: