Saturday, June 9, 2018

The thief comes to kill steel and to destroy

Being a man, I have less skill at understanding my feelings than do most of the female of the species. But when I’m confused, I can ask the Lord who is ready willing and able to explain. And in asking myself and Him this morning what it is about others not dealing with the issues that causes me to feel the way I feel (see last day), I am sensing that at least part of this is grief. In particular, I grieve for those who are stuck in their pain, when if they were willing they could, with His help, push through to Joy (Hebrews 12:2). And I grieve over the pain of the dysfunction that surrounds the lives of those who do not deal with their issues.

The pain and the dysfunction are huge, and it is all part of what this morning’s quote (John 10:10a) is talking about. There are so many different ways that the thief, the Evil one, robs us of the abundant life (John 10:10b). And not dealing with our issues is one of them. But I have also been there deep enough, and long enough to know that sometimes the pain is so great, that even though we know that medicating it will in the long run prolong the pain, nevertheless the desire for the momentary relief can be just too enticing! Addictions of course are not the only issues we are talking about here. I am thinking of victim hood, co-dependency etc.

Redemption is a free gift, sanctification, getting free will cost you everything you are and have. But what is the alternative? At the very least, the alternative prolongs the pain. It’s a little bit like refusing to go to the dentist because you have a toothache! Sure it could be painful, very painful, but the pain of the cure does not last forever, and the relief is well worth it. It’s the same when it comes to dealing or not dealing with the issues. And I am learning, when I am in emotional or spiritual pain, that I need to turn to the Lord for help. Sometimes that help is simply His comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3), but sometimes He is allowing the pain in order to bring my attention to something that He wants me to deal with.

Father, You are a good, good Father. And you always, always have our best interests at heart. And I am learning to trust that when You put your finger on something You want me to deal with, that You want to turn it to my good (Romans 8:28). And this is true this morning Lord even of the grief I am feeling at this time. And part of it is that you are making me more like Jesus. Another part is that it is drawing me closer to You the God of all comfort. So I thank and worship You this morning Lord, and once again I give You all the honour, all the glory and all the praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment