Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Generational sins (Part 8) Dealing with guilt and/or anger - Guilt

We are strange creatures us humans, we can be dealing with crippling guilt or debilitating anger and still be in denial about it, or it can be just about the only thing we think about. We can be blaming ourselves, or be stuck in victim mode. This morning, I’m thinking about the guilt we bear because the consequences our sins have for our children, and/or those we influence. Earlier in this series of posts on generational sins, we were looking (Part 4) at Exodus 20:5,6 in terms of motivation to deal with our issues. This morning I want to look at the verse “But showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments” (Exodus 20:6) in terms of dealing with guilt.

Coming to the place where we come out of denial, and begin to realize how deeply our sin and our issues impact the lives of others, especially our children, can be very difficult. But for those of us who turn to Christ, our faith is in a God of redemption. And behind the principal in this morning’s verse, is the fact that when we turn to him in radical obedience, then we are in effect standing in the gap and he begins the process of setting right the wrong. He turns the negative inheritance of three or four generations (verse 5), into blessings for many, many generations to come (verse 6). And I am claiming this principle/promise for my own children, and for those my life’s has influenced and is influinsing.

In discussing these things at the Bible study last night, the verse “I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring“ (Isaiah 44:3) was brought to my attention. We can add to this other promises such as “All your children shall be taught by the LORD, And great shall be the peace of your children” (Isaiah 54:13). And when I choose to trust that He will do what He says he will do in this area, and also in the area of cleansing me of my guilt (1 John 1:9), then my peace returns. And it comes to me again, that the very best thing that I can do for my children and those I influence, is for me to become whole by loving Him, obeying Him and in particular, dealing with my issues.

Father, once again this morning I had to cast my care and concern for others upon You. It was threatening to trip me up! After I have done my part in repenting and turning to You, then I need to leave the consequences to You. I am still tending to take on more responsibility than You call me to. But I’m learning! Thank You Lord that You who begun a good work in me will bring it to completion in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment