Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Jesus, who for the joy … endured the cross, despising the shame

Shame comes in all shapes and sizes. There is the shame associated with guilt. Adam and Eve felt shame for what they had done. There are the “shame trips” that that get laid on us “You should be ashamed of yourself!” Then there is the shame associated with abuse. Jesus knows all about that type of shame. He was brutally beaten, stripped naked in public (not with some delicate loincloth hiding his private parts as in most depictions of the crucifixion), and subjected to the most brutal death then known to man. Yes Jesus knows about the shame of abuse!

This distinction is a little simplistic, nevertheless it’s a useful distinction. Guilt asks “What did I do that was wrong?” On the other hand shame asks “What’s wrong with me?” It is important to know that Jesus despised the shame (Hebrews (12:2) as He bore both our guilt and shame on the cross. Shame seeks to rob us of our identity and our value. In despising the shame, Jesus is essentially saying “Shame I will have no part of you, I will not let you rob me of my value, I will not let you rob me of my identity, I am the beloved Son of the Father, and He is well pleased with me” (Mark 1:11).

If you belong to Christ, then you are His brother (or sister). And God knows no favourites. So then when you identify with Christ in His death and resurrection (Romans 6:5), then you too are a precious son (or daughter) of the living God (1 John 3:1). If you belong to Him, you have been purchased with His blood (acts 20:28). The value of something purchased is the price paid for it. And Jesus purchased you with His precious blood. And if you were the only one who had responded, He would still have come and suffered and bled and died for you. And this makes you and I of infinite value. He bore our shame on the cross, and He did it so that we need not be ashamed anymore (Isaiah 54:4).

Father, it took me quite a while to come to the place where what You think of me, is more important than what others think of me. It is a process, and it is my prayer this morning Lord, that those reading this blog will either enter into this process, or be taken deeper into it by Your extravagant healing love. I want to thank You in advance for Your positive answer to this prayer, and I give You all the honour and glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment