Tuesday, June 26, 2018

What elephant? Generational sins (Part 7)

Most of us can see the flaws in others far more clearly than we can see them in ourselves. Add to this our tendency to blame rather than accept responsibility for our part in all that goes wrong, and it is easy to see why so many of us are still in denial. And it seems to me that each and every one of us is in denial at some level (yes me too). I have often thought that if the Lord showed us everything that is wrong at the same time, we would (I would) die. Thankfully, He is too merciful to do that, and what I have experienced is that He does not reveal more than with His help, I can handle (1 Corinthians 10:13). But if we are to keep moving forward we will need to fully cooperate with Him.

The secular way of doing things and the Biblical way, things have much in common (though of course the Bible got there first). Family systems therapy employs what is called the genogram. It is a kind of family tree that records family difficulties and distress. So for example it records incidents of divorce, alcoholism, suicide, codependency issues etc., etc. The idea is to detect patterns of behaviour so that we can predict what might happen, and then intervene in some way. The idea behind the fearless moral inventory and making amends in the Biblically inspired 12 step programs, is similar. In these steps we discover the often hidden patterns by systematically working through who we need to forgive, and to whom we need to make amends. This also helps us to see that we are at some level still deep in denial!

When the higher power in a 12 step program is Jesus, it opens up many advantages. For example we have the sure principles of the Word of God as well as the promises we find there. Plus we also have access to the Power of the Holy Spirit. Part of this power, when we fully surrender, is that He gives both the desire and the wherewithal to do what needs to be done (Philippians 2:12,13). It needs to be fearless, because this process is hard, and many give up at this stage. We should not do this alone. The fellowship of fellow strugglers is huge and we have an amazing promise, that if we confess our faults to one another, and pray for one another, then we will be healed (James 5:16) Hallelujah!

Father, it is important for us to keep praying “Search me oh God, and see if there be any wicked way within me” (Psalm 139:24). But I also need to be obedient to deal with what You show me. Thank you Lord, that You always have my best interest at heart, and that You have promised to work all things together for my good because I love you and am called according to Your purposes. Thank You that when I surrender completely to You, then You change my desires into Your awesome desires for my life, and You give me the wherewithal to do what pleases You. I thank You again this morning Lord for this, and for many other things, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment