Friday, June 8, 2018

What is your pet peeve?

In a recent round of introductions we were asked, as an icebreaker, to say what was our pet peeve. When it came to me, I explained my pet peeve was that people do not seem to be willing to deal with their issues. I am talking about the baggage that life has handed us, and to which we ourselves have contributed. I realize this could sound self righteous, but there’s no self-righteousness in me here, at least I hope not! The fact of the matter is that for the first twenty plus years of my Christian life, I didn’t even know that I hand baggage, let alone that I needed to deal with it. But then the Lord opened my eyes to the way that issues I did not even know I had, were negatively affecting my then present and future.

So then the reason this is my pet peeve is because I’m starting to see others through God’s eyes, starting to see the enormous potential that is not realized because of life issues not dealt with. And part of my problem, and it is my problem, is my impatience. And it’s really quite silly, because the picture that I believe the Lord is giving me of this, is of an impatient farmer. He goes out and he sows the seed, and then becomes exasperated because the crop is not ready the very next day. And I realize again, that I am the only one I can change, and once again I resign my self appointed role as keeper of the universe!

But I am also learning again this morning in the process of writing this blog, that I need to be patient not only with others, but also with myself. In particular, the fact that I am describing this as my pet peeve, is also showing me, if I have eyes to see, that the Lord is wanting me to deal with my issue of impatience. And I see once again that it is so much easier to see the faults of others (in this case others not dealing with issues) than it is to see it in myself. And once again I’m humbled by way that at the right time, He gently shows me the next step I need to take in my growth, in sanctification.

Father, I want to thank You this morning for Your patience with me, and thank You that with the growth You are provoking in me, comes healing. Indeed there is such healing in Your wings! Thank You Father for Your ongoing assurance, that You who began a good work in me, will keep right on helping me to grow until the day that we meet face-to-face. And on that day, in the twinkling of an eye, You will complete the transformation, and I will be like You Hallelujah! In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment